In the Winter 2010 issue
By Michael Anft
Officers in the Epidemic Intelligence Service – including man Johns
Hopkins faculty and alumni – expend shoe leather to stamp out disease
The Force Is With Her
By Margaret Guroff, A&S ’89 (MA)
Annelise Pruitt, A&S ’04, follows her curiosity wherever it leads her.
This year, it led her to design the website Star Wars Uncut – and to win an Emmy
By Dale Keiger
The collapse of a grand opera company does not mean the end of opera. A collection
of enterprising Peabody graduates with a do-it-yourself spirit has seen to that.
Atoms, Genes, and Everything In Between
By Michael Anft
An incomparable collection of rare books – recently bequeathed by Elliott Hinkes,
A&S ’64, Med ’67, to the Sheridan Libraries – traces the arc of scientific thought.
A New Kind of War
By Jay Pridmore
For faculty at the SAIS Bologna Center, the war on Afghanistan is a case
of what not to do in an ethnic conflict.
- The Big Question: What Makes Us Unique?
- The Big Picture: It Paints a Village
- Editor’s Note: A Little Levity
- Letters: What You Meant to Say…
- Essay: Techno-Geezers
- Golomb’s Gambits: Calendar Oddities
- Wholly Hopkins: Matters of note from around Johns Hopkins
- Writing Seminars: Klamming Up
- Mathematics: Back to basics for the “division clueless”
- Medicine: Is rapid response good medicine?
- Libraries: The Welch goes digital
- University: Who got Johns’ house?
- Public Health: When humans stampede
- Books: Sky watchers
- Public Health: Tanzania turns to Muppets to help kids
- Alumni News & Notes
- How To: Land a Robot on an Asteroid