The Big Picture: Gilman’s New Light
September 3, 2010 |  by Dale Keiger

The original Gilman Hall opened its doors in 1915. The new Gilman opened in July after a three-year, $73 million renovation. All 10 of the Krieger School’s humanities departments now are under one roof, occupying sleek new offices with heating and air conditioning that actually works. From the quad, the exterior and trademark clock tower look the same, albeit spiffed up, but the interior received quite the makeover. Most arresting is Gilman’s new atrium, pictured here, with a huge skylight and a suspended sculpture by Kendall Buster, called Vessel Field.

The shapes were inspired by items in the university’s archaeological collection, which will be displayed in a new museum beneath the courtyard.

Let the pedagogy resume.

Photo: Jay Van Rensselaer/